Sunday, August 28, 2005

Pedal on through


I spent Thurs. and Fri. nights in W.Va. and did (for me) a tough bike ride on Friday. Enduranceman would laugh at the challenge, but I ended up doing about 22 miles and much of it was UP the fire road I took, not down. As Roger, the bike shop guy, said on Saturday, "You went the hard way." Wish you'd let me in on that secret Friday when I told you the route I was planning to take, Rog.

Anyway, this photo shows the creek where I turned around the last time because there was a couple feet of water in the way. Obviously, this time things were drier.All in all, though, I enjoyed the ride. Beautiful mountains and forests and not a lot of people around. Just a few kids who came whizzing by on their way down. And it felt good to finish!

Saturday, on my way into town to go on a short ride and then return the bike to Roger, I saw a bear crossing the road a quarter mile or so ahead of me. First time I've ever seen a wild bear. He/she was headed toward our development.
I got back home Saturday in time to then drive with M to his gig with Not Dead Yet (the old guys) last night at a charity dinner about 45 minutes from here. I ended up being the only "roadie," so I helped set the equipment up and then tear it down at the end.

It was a nice night. The benefit was for the leukemia society, in honor of two young people who have cancer. The band got into it because the woman who organized the dinner cuts the hair of one of the guy's and his family. Ed would have enjoyed the meal. It was at a VFW. Roast beef, chicken, potatoes, green beans, salad and cake. A cash bar too. Their goal was to raise $10,000. I didn't hear how close they came.

E has been at the beach with Pat and his family this weekend. We're expecting her home this evening. M starts classes at George Mason on Tuesday. C is out doing an interview today and then stopping at the office to do some writing.

I've only heard from Jim and Liz about the football game in Sept. Get your orders or regrets in soon so I can line up tickets.

No comments: