Sunday, November 13, 2005

Is that him?


C and I had an amusing moment Friday night. We went to see John Mayall (photo, left) and the Bluesbreakers at George Mason (M couldn't come because he had to work, so our friend Kevin from Not Dead Yet joined us). Before the show, there was a beer and cheese reception in the lobby of the Performing Art Center.

When we got there, we saw a table had been set up. There was a homemade sign on it saying that Mayall would be signing copies of his new CD that evening. We figured that would be after the show.

We must have been away from that spot a few minutes, probably getting beer and cheese. When we returned, there was an older looking gentleman standing behind the table and the sign. He was counting some money. No one was paying attention to him. I looked and thought "I think that's Mayall, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's his brother or something (brothers do sometimes look alike.)"

But, I figured, somebody's got to get this thing going. So I went up and - not wanting to embarrass either of us - didn't flat out ask him if he was John Mayall. I went with the less direct "Evening sir. When was this CD made?" route. We had a nice chat. It was him. We were his first customers. He signed it for us and a line started to form.

The show was excellent. He's touring with a blues singer named Eric Bibb and a blues guitarist/singer named Robben Ford. We've got several of Ford's CDs and like him a lot. He may be the best guitarist we've ever seen, including Clapton. They do a nice job with the show. By the end, all three headliners are on stage together with the Bluesbreakers backing them up.

The rest of the weekend was less eventful. Unfortunately for C, she woke up today with a touch of the flu. I had to work, but the kids were around to check on her and wait on her a bit here and there. She seems to be improving this evening, so hopefully it's a less-than-24-hours-bug.

I also managed to get out on my new/used mountain bike for a while yesterday.

No comments: